Monday, February 2, 2009

Shooting moving targets...


...is fun, yet challenging, as I discovered this past weekend. N was racing our dog, Rufio (a shepherd cross) as part of the ski joring competition at the annual City of Lakes Loppet in Minneapolis.

Our team of 4 Canadians headed south of the border to represent, and we did great! (results) We were so proud of our Ruf and N in their first big race, coming in 14th in his class and 5 minutes ahead of the average!

It was a great opportunity to practice some very fast-paced event photography. With a loaner 70-200mm lens (thanks Tim!) in tow, I set out to capture some of the excitement (and mayhem) of the pre-race corral and the mass start. It was chaotic to try and find my chosen subjects in a sea of cross-country-ski-gear clad guys, never mind obtaining an accurate focus!

Before I knew it, I had to book it over to the finish line (I literally had to run...these dogs are fast!) in time to capture our guys coming across the finish line. I'm sure glad I took the time to stake out my location before the race began.



Cudos to all the organizers and racers... I'm looking forward to next year!

If you like what you see, please find out more about ski joring in Manitoba.

No comments: