Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rain Rain Part II

As I rounded the bend, I was instantly transported back to the moors of Scotland (I visited the country in 2005). The dense sheets of mist were there, the rolling fields, and the endless gray sky. All that was missing was the purple-gray flow of heather in the breeze, but my black&white-trained-brain didn't seem to notice anyways.

But what had happened? I was supposed to be driving through the sprawling, awesome boreal forest of the Canadian Shield, not reminiscing about sipping Scotch with some sheep. Turns out I'd entered a clear-cut forest, just the kind that the Western Canada Wilderness Committee has been lobbying against.

Well, this foreign landscape was more than enough to make me brave the elements, and Mark II seemed to agree. He was quite a good sport despite the rain, helping me turn out some images that are strangely beautiful despite the ravaged terrain. It all makes me wonder if "sustainability" and "resource management" could peacefully coexist? OR does human greed always get in the way?

I smell a new project on the way....(but in the meantime, enjoy these images).



1 comment:

AmandaO said...

Great shots, H-K! Uber creepy!